Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday, April 18, 2008 - New, New Normal

Hi Everyone,

So since Tuesday, Steve, Zoe and I have embarked on another, new, "new normal". For the first time in our lives, we are living as a threesome. I have to say it seems quite strange and very uncomfortable to me. Alex's presence is here but at the same time it is NOT here and we all miss him very, very much.

Yesterday, Steve was asked to speak to his fellow co-workers. His company will be preparing 24,000 gift bags for kids with cancer this year. Steve talked about the first time we received a gift. It was when Alex had just had the brain biopsy and he was in Intensive Care. I will never forget it. I was holding Alex in the rocking chair and the ICU nurse brought in this green piece of luggage resembling a turtle. Inside it were books, games, toys, bubbles, voice recorder and small DVD player. It was an amazing gift. I remember I felt so relieved that someone was thinking of us that knew what we needed even before we knew. I felt that we were not alone in this ordeal and that there is hope. This wonderful gift came from the Gabby Krause Foundation and you can read about Gabby at www.gabbykrausefoundation.org. So it is my wish that each of the 24, 000 gift bags that will be handed out have a similar impact on the children and families receiving them.

So I wanted to tell you all about "thawing". Thawing is a term a father who had lost his child, came up with to describe the grieving process. Until you go through a loss like this it is almost impossible to know what the experience is like. Thawing refers to the process of melting away sadness, despair, and sorrow so that you can get through a certain time period (varies constantly) feeling okay, like you can get out of bed. Then you realize that while you were thawing another layer of your sorrow has reached the surface and you are back in the pits again. Utter despair, angst and sadness consume you. You don't want to move, to talk, to eat, to drink, to breath. But you do and eventually, with help from family, friends, counselors, children, you find yourself back in the "thawing" experience. Unfortunately, you never know how long this will last, so you do your best to enjoy the time and to honor your child while you can. I think we all know our deceased children would never wish us to be in pain and sorrow. Children are all about love and joy and laughter and BUBBLES!!! Bubbles of wisdom that we have forgotten and have to relearn.

So I hope that helps you get some what of an understanding of what this confusing, ever-changing grieving process is like (for me, at least). It truly sucks and I don't recommend it to anyone! So, go enjoy your day. Be in this moment right here, right now. Listen to the far off birds sing their song, the squirrels scampering in the tree limbs, the wind talking through the leaves. This is all that really matters. You, Now, Here!!

God bless,
G

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gwen,
I hope my little comments about small ways your story helps me doesn't make it seem like I'm comparing any level of struggle with yours. I just wanted to say that I just read the last two posts, after being stressed out for multiple no good reasons. I came in from yardwork after my 5 year old son had an attitude with me and I lost my temper with him. I figured I'd spend some time on the computer to cool off my head. Well, your blog is a reminder that's it's better to just give him a hug and play some soccer in the yard. I'm turning off the computer right now. Thanks for posting the pictures too. Hugs, J Wolf

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post. I had never heard about the thawing thing - I like that a lot, and it makes a lot of sense. Thawing until you get to the raw layer, and then getting down to the next hard place, and working your way through. Nice.

Julie

Anonymous said...

You continue to give me lessons about the way I interact with my own children--I think of Alex on a daily basis and his lasting gift of helping all of us to be more present parents. Thank you for continuing to write as you go through these stages...
~Annie

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your wise words. You continue to be an inspiration to me, helping me to be a better parent.

God bless you and your family.