Saturday, June 24, 2006

Here's the scoop


This all started two weeks ago, when we went to have Alexander's gait evaluated. We had noticed that Alexander was not using his right arm much and that his right toe would drag every once in a while. Dr. Sink at Children's told us that there was something definitely going on and that he suspected one of three causes: vision, brain tumor or mild cerebral palsy known as monoplegia. He ordered an MRI and was glad that we already had an eye appointment set for Alex. Last Tuesday, Alex had an eye appointment and they found that his right eye is twisted. We took this as good news thinking that it explained alot of Alex's presenting issues such as head tilt, constant balancing, etc.

Yesterday, we had the MRI. They found a brain tumor at the base of Alexander's skull around his brain stem. They think it is a juvenile pilocytic astrocytoma which responds well to low dose chemotherapy over a prolonged period of time. The tumor is the shape and size of a man's thumb. Alex will have brain surgery Wednesday afternoon so they can get a sample of the tumor and verify their diagnosis. If they are correct and the five hour surgery goes well Alex will be hospitalized for 3-4 days and then will have chemotherapy once a week for a year.

The tumor explains all of Alexander's symptoms - head tilt, twisted eye, mild facial weakness that causes drooling, hoarse voice, consistent throat clearing, droopy eye, and the weakness on the right side. Depending on which doctor you talk to, these symptoms may improve after chemo or may not. The surgery is not meant to remove the tumor because it is too close to the brain stem which is vital for life. Alex will not have to have his head shaved and the chemo should not cause nausea or hair loss.

Steve was on a business trip last week and learned about the tumor in a Boston airport yesterday. We are both reeling from the news and have not quite grasped it all. Our pediatrician, Dr. Jody Mathie has assured us that Alexander's Neuro-Oncologist, Dr. Foreman and our Neurosurgeon, Dr. Handler, are the best available. Our prayers at this time are that their diagnosis is correct and that the surgery and chemo treatments go well. The dangers of surgery include infection, neurological damage and hydrocephalis. Alex will be in a great deal of pain after the surgery because they are moving the muscle that connects the head to the neck.

Our goal now is to maintain normalcy for Alexander and Zoe. Alex has doctors' appointments Monday, Tuesday and then the surgery on Wednesday. We will be in the hospital for the rest of the week. Please use this blog to post your comments, we just can't be on the phone talking about this with everyone. I hope you understand. I think I will postpone doing all the household chores I have today and sit, snuggle, play, read, love my children and pray every chance I get. This is absolutely the hardest thing I have ever faced.

Steve will be working from home next week and I don't know what I'll do about work yet. My mother and sister plan to be here Tuesday night. Alex will not be in school next week either.

Please pray for our beautiful little boy. He is such a wonderful child and I have always said I am blessed to be his mom. Pray, just pray for his wholeness, perfection, health and future. Thank you. God bless.

Gwendolyn

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gwen, my heart goes out to you. There is nothing more precious in this world than our children. Alex's story made me cry. If there is anything in this world that makes me sad, it's a child that doesn't get a fair shake at life. With my beliefs, I pray for no one, but your family has all my hopes and prayers. I am so sorry, and wish for a quick recovery. If you need anything, do not be afraid to ask.
Love,
Joe, Courtney, and William

Anonymous said...

Gwen and Steve, Rest asured WE and everyone we know are PRAYING for GOOD results! Complete RECOVERY! PEACE for you and your family. I can't stop thinking and praying for Alex and you ever since Stephanie called. I told our Friday night group and the prayer chain, so many many people are praying for you all. GOD is still in the miracle business and I am praying for Alex to be HEALED completely! OUR LOVE and OUR PRAYERS are with you. Paul

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve and Gwen, Our love and prayers are with all qf you. Alexander's name will be listed for prayers from our entire congregation. We hope he will have a full recovery, with little pain and discomfort. He is so young and precious. I know God's blessings will come to him in many ways. We will be on our way to Colorado on Wednesday and be at Natalie's for a week if you need any CA connection.
Love, Cori and Bill Hunter

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen and Steve,

I am so sorry to hear about this. I read this post in the morning and just re-read it before going to bed - my heart goes out to you as you go through this difficult ordeal - having had some similar scares with our kids a couple of times, I can safely say that I cannot imagine anything more trying for a parent to go through.

Our best wishes and thoughts are with you - please let us know if there is anything we can do to help.

Love,
Srikant (Vikram's Dad)

Anonymous said...

Gwendolyn, Steve, Alex and Zoe,

This is my second time reading this post today. I didn't have the words to say to your family as this is a difficult subject. All of our prayers are with you. Please ask if you need ANYTHING. As you know I am very flexible with time right now and I am here for your family.

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it. Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God.

Love,
Alisha, Sydney, Ashyah and Isaiah

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen, Steve, Alex and Zoe,
My thoughts and heart go out to you all. I am so sorry your family must face this. Alex is such a dear little boy; I will send all my love and energy so that you all get through this. Please let me know if there is anything I can do.
Love,
Erica

Anonymous said...

Everyone’s comments have been so eloquent and positive and I keep mouthing the words “this sucks” every 15 minutes. We are sending every bit of hope and love we can find your way. We’ve seen so many pictures of Alex over the years that Olivia knows his face and smile from seeing him on the computer. We have also come to know a child named Jake. His brother and Jackson became best friends at school this year. Jake is about 3 or so and at 16 months he was diagnosed with the same tumor as Alex only his is inside his brain stem or inside the bottom of his brain or somewhere irremovable. Jake has had some brain surgeries and just finished his year of chemo in May. His family went to Disneyland to celebrate. He smiles so big and to me seems so happy and his family is an absolute joy to watch. He and Olivia (who is 2 and a half) were playing a game of tug-of-war with a long string hanging from a balloon. It was nothing, but it was one of those impossibly beautiful quick moments when you see children and you know why you go through everything. I don’t know about miracles but I know Jake. And from his smile in his mother’s arms I know there is a path through this. We read the other messages and are so happy that you have so much love and support. Anything we can do—please just let us know. -- Olivia, Jackson, Genevieve and Byron

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen and Steve, I am sad that I am so far away that I cannot give you both a huge hug. I am thinking of your wonderful family and my prayers are with you all. Alex and your family have a very special place in my heart as you supported me during my time at MAC. I know you will come through this very hard time - Alex is a figther who loves to live life to the full. Please say that Ms Caroline sends him a hug from the UK. Stay strong for him.
With lots of love Caroline Pyper

Anonymous said...

Certainly, our thoughts and prayers go out to you. This must be tremendously scary for you. I know that you're pretty well covered on the medical front. We've had occassion, thru work related events, to get to know of Dr. Mathie and to spend time with Dr. Handler. You should be assured that the team you have assembled are not just the best in Denver, but some of the finest physicians in the nation.
You're in very good hands.

Ed Kleban (Malcolm's dad)

Anonymous said...

Gwen and Steve,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Alex, Zoe, and all involved. Thank you for keeping us posted. Don't hesitate to contact us if we can help.
Philip and Henry Rowland, and Marilyn Auer.

Anonymous said...

Gwen -

OUr thoughts and prayers are with you and Alex. One of Laird's clients has established a foundation for pediatric brain tumors that may be helpful to you. The email is www.kyleoc.org. I will be thinking of your family this week and praying for the best possible result.

Stephanie Blue

Anonymous said...

Gwen -

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and Alex. One of Laird's clients has established a foundation for pediatric brain tumors that may be helpful to you. The email is www.kyleoc.org. I will be thinking of your family this week and praying for the best possible result.

Stephanie Blue

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen and Steve,
We are so sorry to hear your news and have been thinking of you and Alex all weekend. To think of what you and your family are going thru - is quite heart wrenching.
When Gigi was only 3 months old we were at Children's Hospital too. It included a whole barage of check-ups which you described (CAT scans, MRIs, blood work, etc.) which ended with surgergy on her head and Dr. Handler was the surgeon. It was hard because we were brand new parents and we couldn't begin to wrap our arms around what was happening.
Nevertheless, we can't say enough good things about Dr. Handler. We researched and looked all over the country and everyone kept pointing us back to Denver's Children's Hospital and Dr. Handler. He is one of the top neuro-pediatric surgeons in the country.
Please know that you could not be in any better hands. All things considered, we could not have had a better experience than we did, and we sincerely hope that your experience there is as positive as ours was.
If there is anything in the world we can do to help please let us know. We are sending big love to sweet little Alex. We will also be sending mail to him with lots of beautiful rainbows.
XOXO Mitzi,Woody and Gigi Beardsley

Anonymous said...

Dear The Kasnoff Family,

I know all of us in Nido 1 have seen what a wonderful
big brother Alex is. My heart has tugged everytime he
loves on Zoe when you drop her off. We are all thinking
of your family during this super difficult time
and wishing the very best outcome.
Love, Katie Sledge

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen and Steve,
As everyone, I am so sad to hear you are all having to deal with this. Continue to soak up the love and prayers sent your way. The comments of others who personally know your doctors give me comfort, so I can only imagine the how much that means to you. If there is any way I can help after your mom and Stephanie leave, please give me a call.
My best to you,
Kathy Cavanaugh

Scott said...

Gwen and Steve,

I can only reiterate what so many of your other frends have so eloquently (and not so eloquently) said... my heart aches for you and the words "this sucks" keep rolling through my head. Our prayers are with all of you. I hope that wednesday's surgery goes smoothly and that a permanent solution and full recovery are in the offing.

I can't imagine how rough this all must be.

Mattie and Mitch will be getting a lot of extra hugs for the next few days.

-Scott

Anonymous said...

Gwen and Steve,
Kept you and Alex in my thoughts and prayers Wednesday. Brook said initial surgical reports were good. I can only imagine what a long, exhausting day it was. I trust all went well and look forward to reading a new posting when you have the time and energy. Know we are all here for you.
Kathy C.

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen and Steve-
My brother just shared with me the surreal story of what you and your son have been up against. Please accept my heartfelt prayers and intense wishes that all goes well and a happy outcome is just around the corner. May you all look back someday at this odd and frightening time with high-fives and healthy hugs.
Much love and big hugs-
Melinda McGrath

Anonymous said...

Steve and Gwen Great to hear the good report! I forwarded it to all the prayers. They are still praying for you. I am amazed at the outpouring from people I don't know that got the word about Alex. They wanted to know how he was and what hospital because they had relatives in Denver that might help. What a Joy that Alex smiled. Evan has something for you'all since I can't be there personally. Love, Paul & Dianne

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve & Gwen: we were so sorry to hear of Alex's condition and relieved somewhat that the operation went well. Our best wishes and prayers go out to you all for a speedy recovery. Frank, Diane & Kristopher Doodha

Anonymous said...

Nice colors. Keep up the good work. thnx!
»