Monday, June 26, 2006

Monday's Post - June 26, 2006


Well so far the day has been quite overwhelming. The appointment this morning provided more details, I have to say they are not encouraging. The big picture presented to us Friday was easier to swallow, but you have to hear it all to be ready for anything. I think the profesionals we are dealing with know how much information can be tolerated at each phase. We met many of the staff of the Oncology department and received reading material and lots of business cards. They also gave us a picture of Alex's MRI and we were encouraged to show it to him and tell him that he has a bump in this head and they need to fix it. Steve and I will probably talk to him tonight. We just received the schedule for tomorrow and Wednesday. Alex will be able to go to school tomorrow morning. We both think this will be good for him. Wednesday starts off with a fast and we have to be at Pre-Op at 1:45p. The surgery will be at 3:45pm. It should last five hours. Most likely we will be staying at the hospital that night.

I just want to thank each of you, especially Susan, Jo-Nell and Karlyn for getting the Lakeside event put together. It will be wonderful to forget our worries and just watch the kids have fun. It is wonderful to have rational thinking persons on our side! Also, thanks to everyone that has offered furnishings for the basement apartment. I will talk everything over with Steve and we will be in touch. This is all happening so fast.

Finally, I just want everyone to know that this looks like the beginning of a long road for our family. Steve and I really have not processed or grasped the full extent of this. The doctor today provided a glimpse of our future, but I believe this is one of those events, you have to live to believe. The whole time the doctors and nurses are talking to you, your inner voice is screaming "SHUT UP, GO AWAY, WAKE ME UP NOW!!!" It truly is overwhelming. The support from you all with your kind words, hopeful thoughts and prayers helps us everytime we read them. I read each and every one, even if I don't respond directly. Overall, we are cautiously optimistic in our logical brains and scared to death at the same time. Wednesday will be the worst day of my life. I can feel it now. We will both do better though once we know what we are dealing with and have an action plan. The biopsy results won't be in for 3-4 days after surgery so hopefully before Alex leaves the hospital we will know for certain the type of tumor he has. My prayer now is that Alex gets to see some fireworks Tuesday. Almost, weekly he talks about wanting to see fireworks again. So that is one of my many prayers at this time.

I hope to see many of you tomorrow. Thank you again.

Gwendolyn

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

To say the least, all my thoughts are with you Alex, and your family. I know that you will get through this with flying colors, and cannot wait to see your smiling face and hear your amazing laughter very soon. You've got all my support little buddy! I'm sending all that's positive your way.

~Mr. Jeff @ MAC

Anonymous said...

This certainly struck a chord with me, as I'm sure it has with all the other parents at MAC. I will be sending positive, healing thoughts your way, and I'll get with JoNell to see if there is anything I can do to help. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

hi I recieved your link from my friend Jan H ,I will certainly keep your son & family in love and healing light .
You are not alone :)
Mary

Anonymous said...

Gwendolyn:
I did not know about your situation until I got to the office today. I cannot even imagine what you and Steve must feel like. As you might expect, I will be sending the most positive thoughts possible tonight and tomorrow. I am sure that the results of the surgery will be good, but I know you won't rest until that's confirmed. Stay strong,
Robbie

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I find that in moments such as these, I rarely find the words that I feel in my heart. But I want you to know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Please continue to feel the love of your friends and family, because I know it's there and it will always be there. You have many friends who are geographically close and some that aren't, but please feel free to take them up their offers of support and that includes me.
Suzan McGrath

Anonymous said...

Gwendolyn,
Alex and the rest of the Kasanoffs are in our thoughts. How heartbreaking to have a sick child. Please let me know if there is anything we can do.

Daphne Butler (Jacob and Maria Storch's Mom)

Anonymous said...

Gwendolyn, Steve, Alex and Zoe:

Our hearts, thoughts and prayers go out to you. Alex is a sweetie and if love, support and prayers mean anything, you will get through this together. We'll be thinking of you lots these next few weeks.

Phyllis Wan &
Aidan and Anna Whitney

Anonymous said...

I have been horrible at staying in touch, but I want you to know that despite the passage of time that we are always here for you. If there is anything we can do for you in the Bay Area to help in any way please let us know. Our thoughts and prayers are with you in the days ahead.

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»