Friday, December 29, 2006

Friday, December 29th

I just want to document a conversation we had on the way to Alex's chemo appointment yesterday. It went something like this.


A: Mom I hate chemo.


G: I know honey, but chemo helps make you stronger.
(long pause)


A: No, mommy. Chemo does not make me stronger cuz it takes my energy away.


G: Yes, Alex. Chemo does take your energy away now, but it helps you fight the bump and when the bump is gone then you will have lots of energy.


A: (pause) When we will I be done with chemo?


G: In September.


A: How many days is September?


G: Well, it is 9 months and each month has 30 days.


A: September will NEVER come.


G: It will baby, I promise.


That conversation struck me as so poignant and revealing. We really got a glimpse into how Alex feels about chemo and his recovery. Alex is my hero and as his mother I pray that he did not have to go through all of this. I just have to have faith that this will all behind us some day and Alex will be a better human being for going through this struggle. I also know it will make us all better for going through it with him.



On a lighter note, the snow began yesterday around 10:30am. It snowed until we went to bed at 10:30pm and had 8 inches on the lawn. It obviously snowed during the night and has been off and on today. Steve keeps shoveling the walk ways every few hours. The news reports that we will continue to see snow showers through tonight and perhaps into Sunday. My sister, brother-in-law and nephew have a week long vacation planned in Breckenridge that begins tomorrow morning. She is in OKC and I have no idea how they plan to get to the mountains since I-70 is closed in Kansas and eastern Colorado. I will be praying for their safe journey.



I have some pics of the snow I will post soon. Seems like there is a lot of work to do around the house today even though it is a snow day. Steve started a minestrone last night and we just had some for lunch. Yum! Yum! Steve can make a mean soup!

Well, Happy New Year!
God Bless.

G

No comments: