Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Tuesday, December 4th - Amazing Kid

Thank you all for your comments. I just got a chance to read them this AM. I did not leave Alex's side much at all yesterday and he is resting now. Alex is absolutely AMAZING!!! He fought so hard yesterday. He was blue at 10:30 AM and fought back from that. Then his blood pressure dropped into the low 40's and we all started saying our good byes. I called my sister and when her husband, who can magically make coins appear from Alex's ears, said "watch those ears"; Alex's eyes opened and a huge smile came over his face. He then woeke up and played Spider Man Wii with his dad!

We are able to keep him comfortable with the robinul (dries up the fluid in lungs) and the Midazolam (anti-nausea, anti-seizure, and anti-anxiety med). When the Robinul stops being able to help him with the fluid in his lungs and he starts gasping for air (most likely scenario) then we have some Dilodid (morpheine derivative) to give him so that he won't feel like he is suffocating.

So the hospice nurse says this up and down can go on for days. I'm sure I can take it but I don't want to. I hope you understand what I mean by that. I will have to find inner resources that are currently unknown to me to survive more days like yesterday.

Both my sister and sister-in-law arrived last night. We are so grateful to have them here! I plan on using some of their resources as well! To top all of this off, our dog (puppy) Roxie is very ill. She has been quite mopey since Sunday night and we all thought it was just a dog's way of mourning. But she woke Steve up crying and whining last night. She has a vet appointment at 10:30am. I hope this is an easy fix (and cheap one too). We love Roxie so much. She has to be one of the sweetest dogs I know.

Okay, ZG needs to get to school. Love and hugs. Keep those prayers coming!!!

G

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alex is indeed amazing! And so are all of you~ Thanks for keeping us all informed, Gwen. I'm glad more family is there to support and share resources with you all. Love, hugs and deep respect to Alex, you, Steve, Linda and Zoe. You're all in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Kathy

Anonymous said...

Gwen, Steve, Alex and Zoe...BIG HUG! My love, support, prayers, cries and laughter are all with you and there to support you. Please let me know if you need anything...Jo-Nell

Anonymous said...

Each day with Alex is a blessing, especially if he can be kept comfortable. Steve must have cherished that time with Alex, playing video games. I know this waiting is so hard--Thank you for taking the time to share with us, and here's to Alex' comfort and happiness.
~Annie

Scott said...

Know that Alex (and You, Steve and Zoe) are in our thoughts and prayers, today and everyday, Gwen.

Thank you for so eloquently sharing (and thereby reliving) what have to be some of the toughest emotional highs and lows a parent can endure.

Extra prayers go out today for Roxie, and to the gods of Wii, that Alex can walk all over his dad and show Steve who's *really* Spiderman!

-Scott, Suzan, Mattie & Mitch

Anonymous said...

You and your family never cease to amaze me - your strength, positive attitude and approach to life and this struggle inspires us all. I am glad you have family with you at this time. If you need an interim home for Roxie, let us know. Always thinking of Alex and hoping he is at peace and finds the love and happiness he can at this time.

Love,
Susan

Anonymous said...

My family prayed together last week and my dad's cousin led us in asking the creator to bless those who are leaving for the spirit world and their families. My husband and I looked at each other because, while I hadn't mentioned your family to my uncle, you have all been foremost on our minds. I can honestly say that reading about Alex's strength and light has changed my life and put me back in touch with God. I had been so busy with my life and Alex has inspired me to be more giving and patient with my friends and strangers.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story!!!!
Your dedication to Alex and the rest of your family is exceptional. Your sincerity and honesty are wonderful and astounding.
We are thinking about you guys all the time. Malena asks for Zoe and Alex constantly. We love you.
Elena, Malena and Dean

Anonymous said...

Your family is always in my thoughts and prayers. i pray that you all continue to find your amazing strength right now and that Alex's days continue to overflow with love and laughter and some sense of peace. I will send a little extra prayer for Roxie too.
love,
joy

Anonymous said...

It is amazing what strength you can draw upon when you don't have a choice. Sometimes those reserves are endless. Here is to comfort for your little man, and peace for your family. I think of you very often.

hugs from a stranger
Shantell

Anonymous said...

It is amazing how far a child can go. And Alex is just amazing, and your family too. Edoardo prays everynight before he goes to sleep and he always prays for Alex.

hugs from our family to all of you
Amalia Castaneda

Anonymous said...

Sending prayers, strength and love your way.
Tracie