Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Tuesday, September 12th

Good Morning. Well we now have a blue Crowntail Betta fish named Cosmo (after a Fairly Oddparent). We were this close to naming it Wanda (the other Fairly Oddparent) but since it is a male, Cosmo won out. Alex has been very good about feeding Cosmo and we are hopeful he will be our pet for a long time.

Alex's first play therapy date was yesterday. We will continue the sessions once a week for a while. She hopes Alex will show her his feelings through play then they will work on empowerment over his feelings and fears. She said that kids who have suffered such invasive and extensive medical procedures often present issues (fear and anxiety) similar to Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I felt validated when she said this because that is what I feel Alex is experiencing as well since the MRI and brain biopsy. I am very hopeful that Alex will become less fearful through this play therapy.

I had a shock yesterday. I came home and had a message on the machine reminding us of Alex's MRI tomorrow. I completely freaked out. I'm not prepared! I have not prepped Alex! I called Radiology and explained that we wanted to wait until Alex had completed ten weeks of chemo and was on his two week break. Last Thursday I was told the MRI would be on the 21st. I told Steve and he cleared his calendar. So long story short after three phone calls and near panic I cancelled today's MRI and booked it for the 28th. The problem with this date is that Steve will be in Boston. If you recall he was in Boston during the first MRI where they found the tumor; so this just creeps me out. Besides, Alex and I would love to have him with us during this one.

Our prayer now is that the tumor is responding to the chemo and that a significant change is visible on the MRI. I don't know what I'll do if the news is otherwise. It is my greatest fear at this time. I know I will be doing a lot of praying and positive imagery for the next few weeks.

Okay, well I should get to work. This is a very busy week and the house is a pit! I hope you all are well. God bless!
G

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Gwen, I want to apologize for not posting in so long. I want you to know that your family is daily in our thoughts and hopes for Alexanders healing both emotionally and physically. We have been quite sick around here as I mentioned on the voice mail. No one in our house has been untouched by this "virus". We are all on a course of antibiotics in hopes that perhaps this is bacterial after all. Sam and Aidan have both had their first ear infection due to this situation and Sam still is not totally recovered. Today will mark two full weeks of illness and two full weeks out of school. Gregg and Aidan and I became ill at the beginning of this week and Gregg has been down and out totally since Tuesday. I am hoping that with each day we will be getting closer to normal. This type of cold bad as it is seems so insignifcant compared to the challenges that you all face so bravely each day. I want you to know that I did not commit myself lightly to taking care of Zoe while Alex is at Chemo. I take very seriously my responsibiliy of trying not to spread illnesses that can be prevented from spreading. God knows that this is something you all really don't need!
I apologize for the length of this comment but I've had way too much time stuck in my house lately!!!
Tina