Friday, September 01, 2006

Friday, September 1st

Happy Friday everyone. Chemo went okay yesterday, Alex still has a great deal of anxiety over the poke. We did find out that his blood count (hemoglobin) is low and if it drops another point he'll need a blood transfusion! That information scares me, I don't know why. I'm just praying that it never comes to that. Alex also had another chest X-ray yesterday to see if his cough was due to material in his lungs. It came back as negative. We are very grateful for that.

Alex woke up last night screaming and hitting his head with his hand. I asked him if he had a headache and he said "yes" so I gave him some Tylenol and he went back to sleep. He never used to have headaches and it pains me to see him in such distress. Once we got home and Alex got his much needed and overdue nap in, his spirits were good. Steve's folks arrived yesterday and we all went out for Chinese food. It was a very pleasant evening.

Today, Alex will be fitted for shoe inserts to stabilize and correct his gait. I have high hopes that this will improve his stability. He has had a very difficult time this week and seems quite wobbly.

While we were at chemo yesterday, Zoe stayed with a friend and her kids. She had a blast and I was so grateful to be able to focus on Alex and his needs during the chemo session. Thank you Tina!!

I hope everyone's holiday weekend is joyous. Big hugs!

God bless.
G

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gwen. My name is Jan Worswick. I'm Scott McGrath's Mom and I've known your husband Steve since he was in high school. Scott just told me about Alex and your blog last evening and I've spent the last several hours going back over all of your entries and alternately praying and crying with you and your family. I couldn't possibly tell you that "I know how you feel", but I can say with certainty that you all have my deepest compassion for your anxiety, my most beseaching prayers for Alex's recovery and my sense of amazement at all of your family's courage, humor and articulation. Thank you for taking the time to keep up this blog, so that the myriad of your friends and family can spiritually hold your and each other's hands, as you go forward through this extraordinary experience. The strength and power of such a connection can have miraculous effects. Please feel my optimism, my comfort and my own strength in the warmth of my old, Irish hug across the miles to you, to Steve, to Zoe and, most gently, to Alex.

Anonymous said...

Gwen...You are doing a great job. Thanks for keeping us all posted out here. Will keep my thoughts and good mojo coming your way.

Anonymous said...

We are still praying for you all! Glad you made it back OK. Love pk

Anonymous said...

Gwen, Our thoughts and prayers are with you all - always. Hope things get better, even if just a little better, for Alex very soon. We miss seeing him at MAC

Susan Aldridge