Sunday, November 25, 2007

Sunday, November 25th - 72 Hour Notice

So Alex had a "seizure" last night that lasted about 20 or 30 minutes. During this time, despite being on his oxygen, his pulse ox dropped to the high 50's and it was with great difficulty that he was able to get it to a reasonable concentration. Steve and I were completely scared but calm at the same time. I have never been so happy to see the sun shine on Alex's face as I was this morning!

Today, Alex's pulse ox has been around the 80's without the o2 on and reasonable with it. His mood is fine, but he is definitely slower. His smile still lights up our world!

Steve started off the day contacting dear friends and family and giving them 72 hour notice. I asked the hospice nurse if she thought this was a reasonable time frame (forgive my matter-of-factness here) and she agreed with Steve's estimate.


Due to last night's seizure, my sister and her family decided to stay at least for one more day. Our house was full of friends and family this evening but I could not get out of my grumpy mood. Then Steve took over the grump role and my sister and I put the kids to bed.

If you care to communicate with us and don't talk to us on a weekly basis (and maybe if you do), we prefer that you post a comment on this blog. Otherwise, please allow us the time to be with Alex. I will do my best to keep the blog updated.

Your prayers are most welcome!

God bless!
G

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gwen,
As I drove home Sat. night, I was thinking that Alex must have been pretty tired from all the activity. (Or maybe that was just me~~) But what a great night he had!
I loved spending all that time with the kids in the basement, and it was wonderful watching Alex just be one of the gang. On the couch, on the floor, into his sleeping bag, "Quick, before I lose my spot". The other kids gave him appropriate consideration, but there was no doubt he was holding his own in the "kid universe". And having a really good time!
You and Steve have done such a wonderful job of supporting him and guiding him in all this. Though I know that might be hard to see as you work within yourselves to cope. Your love for him and for Zoe radiates.
I hope in quiet and in other moments you all can feel the many hugging arms around you and hear the whispers of love in your ears.
Feel and hear them now,
Kathy C.

Anonymous said...

We are sending you big hugs, warm thoughts and wishes for peaceful moments together.
L, Chantell and gang

Anonymous said...

Gwen,
We were away from internet connection for a few days, but Alex (along with the rest of you) were in my thoughts during the holiday. I am so thankful you have family with you, and you and Steve continue to do such a wonderful job making Alex feel comfortable, safe, and loved. I'm sending peaceful, thoughts Alex's way today.
~Annie

Anonymous said...

you are in our thoughts and prayers. i have never known such an amazing family.
love to you all,
joy

Anonymous said...

Sending my love! I wish I could send you all the time in the world to spend with Alex! Please tell him again he is my hero!

Love,Tina

Anonymous said...

YOu are in my thoughts. I thought the loss of my mom would show me the fragileness of life, but after watching Ben and now your little man fight cancer this point is reitterated. Your family is in my thoughts, and I will be hugging my children extra long and hard tonight.

Hugs from a stranger.
Shantell

Anonymous said...

You are very much in our thoughts and prayers for peace, serenity and grace in a difficult time.
Dianne, Craig and Josh Miller

Anonymous said...

I wish you all peaceful moments with Alex. May you enjoy every minute of togetherness. I wish for calm and peace for Alex with all my heart. Our thoughts are with you.
Love, Karlyn and family

Anonymous said...

You and your beautiful family are in our thoughts...we're wishing you strength and love over the next few weeks.
J & K

Anonymous said...

The four of you have shown such amazing strenth. You are all a daily sorce of inspiration to my family and me. We wish you peace and quiet sweet moments with your beautiful son.

The Slaters

Anonymous said...

I wanted to just take a moment to let you know that even though you guys have not heard much out of me and Courtney, we read the blog daily, sometimes more than daily. We have tried to give you all the space that we would expect if William was going through the same situation. I so wish I could have saw you guys in Sept. Although we have never met face to face, you guys are family. We just wanted to let you know that you all are in our hearts and prayers. I won't continue on. Enjoy the precious time you have left.
With Love,
Joe, Courtney, and William Moseley

Anonymous said...

Sending thoughts,love, prayer and comfort your way...
Love,
Tracie