Saturday, August 15, 2009

Friday, August 14th-2/3's of a day from HELL!! The Recap. cont'd.

So I called Jenny back but she was not to be found. We decided I would shower while Steve processed the data points. During my shower, Steve came in and said "we have some decisions to make." He had spoken to Jenny and we were offered a neurological consult with Foreman that could perhaps negate the need for the MRI. As you can probably guess, I was not having any part of that. No offense to Dr. Foreman, but we need the peace of mind the scan would provide. Steve told Jenny that and she would call back to let us know if his consult was a prerequisite for the scan. Luckily (for them!) it was not. I spoke to Jenny later that afternoon and asked her to talk to Foreman and convey to him that we need him to take this seriously, to really give the scan some consideration because "this is not fun for us!" She heard me and told me that he was taking it seriously but the chances were so slight for Zoe to have a brain tumor. I told her that that information was of ABSOLUTELY no comfort to us whatsoever. We discussed details when we could expect to hear from Foreman and she ended the call by saying "I wish I had a valium for you or something!"

So since we had promised Zoe a new fish tank, we decided to distract her from her hunger (and ours) by heading to PetsMart around noonish. We spent time in PM looking at the aquariums and decor items, fish and birds. Zoe pointed out "Fluff" to us. He is her bird friend (imaginary) and was very beautiful. So we purchased our stuff and headed out on a long drive so Z could get in a nap before we arrived at the hospital.

So Zoe falls asleep within 10 minutes and once Steve got on the main highway to the hospital, my mind started FREAKING OUT. I was so, so scared. Steve and I talked about how hideous the flashbacks were and how worried we were for Zoe and her mental well-being before, during and after this ordeal. I cried and would have screamed if I could have. By the time we arrived at the hospital, Zoe was waking up and I had regained my composure. At the check-in counter we were told to have a seat on a couch in the airport-esque lobby. Since I had already gone through the check in process the day before, I asked if she needed my confirmation number to which she replied, "it just says for you to have a seat on that couch". So we did. Steve and Zoe went to view the ball machine and a lady came up to me and asked "what's the patient's name?" I told her and then I realized what she had said and went to talk to her and the woman behind the computer. I firmly told them to NOT say patient again around my daughter. "I am serious." They both agreed and looked at me like I had snakes in my hair. So we were then told to go to radiology across the lobby.

Upon arriving in radiology, I had to complete the same forms I have filled out for every one of Alex's MRI's and it was NOT fun!" I then went to go sit with Steve and Zoe. I tried to read a magazine, but absolutely could not concentrate on the words. I realized that my laptop was also not going to be a good distraction. Luckily about that time, our beautiful neighbor, Courtney showed up and we immediately headed out of radiology to look at the construction and to go to the gift shop. Since we had a pager this was not a problem.

Zoe ended up getting a lovely stuffed horse from the gift shop and I bought a scarf. Nothing like retail therapy. When we returned we saw Steve sitting just outside radiology. I asked him why he moved and he said "someone brought food in and sat it out right in front of our former location". I'm sure if they had known that there were kids that had not eaten since 8a that morning they would have been more considerate but nonetheless, we moved.

Next, I spent alot of time talking with our nurse, Erin, to explain words she could and could not say around Zoe. I also told her that we were telling Z that she was there for a shot and we did not want her to see any MRI machines. Erin then explained that there would be gas done on the MRI table and then she would receive the general anesthesia via IV. So that through a monkey wrench into our set up and we had to talk to Z about the mask. The next issue was the anesthesiologist himself, I had told Erin that we did not want to answer their questions in front of Zoe and here he comes, just comes into the room and starts asking questions. I ask him if we can talk outside and he accommodates my request, but only halfheartedly. He tells me they "HAVE" to ask us at the MRI door what procedure we are here for AGAIN, as a safeguard for Zoe. He suggests that STeve and I split up and answer this question, to which I agree. We are then asked if we want an oral med to make Zoe sleepy and loopy. We agreed since it would also act as a mind eraser of the events to come. So in all, Zoe had 3 anesthesia yesterday: oral, gas and IV.

Okay, so the oral med takes effect and time is ticking. Our 3:45pm MRI was not happening at 4:20 pm and Dr. Foreman only had until 6p to read the scan before departing for an out of town conference. So FINALLY, we get Zoe outside the MRI room and here we go again! Another nurse, starts asking me "so we are here today for a . . ." to which I immediately start shushing her! She was not going to be shushed and I had to just interrupt her and say "YES, we are here for a B-R-A-I-N scan". GEEZ!!! What a pain!

Okay, so we head straight to the cafeteria to grab some lunch (at 4:30pm) and not three bites into it, our pager starts to go off. A brain MRI takes 30 to 45 minutes and my heart immediately sped up. I grabbed my stuff, told Steve and Courtney "this is not good!" and nearly ran back to Radiology. Once there, no one was inside the patient lobby to meet us and a nurse leaving had to call and find out why our pager was going off. She explained that "it was a mistake". Again, GEEZ! (just to keep this post family friendly, we'll use geez instead of my actual words!) So after our hearts returned to normal, we tried to eat our lunches/snacks.

About 5p, we were paged to come back to see Z. She was OUT! The nurse took out her IV hoping that the process would wake her up but it did not. So I asked Steve to go get our stuff and Courtney from the lobby. I had left my phone in the lobby and wanted to have it to speak to Foreman when he called. Steve was gone for a very long time and time was passing so I went to find him. He was in the lobby and had been locked out. So I got my phone and sure enough, I had missed the call from Foreman. So I can't call voicemail fast enough as we are walking back down the halls to Zoe. Finally, I hear these words spoken in a very tired, English voice "Zoe's scan is clear". I told Steve and Courtney and hung up the phone. I guess I pressed "erase" instead of "save" because I never got to hear the rest of that message. It did not matter, I just wanted to get the F out of that place. We tried again to wake Zoe but she was not having any part of it. Finally about 30 minutes later, Zoe wakes up and we head home. We have milk and snacks for Zoe and the nurse gave her some animal crackers that she would not share on the ride. We then took Zoe to her preschool's first "Parents night out" of the summer. Zoe was still too wobbly to walk so I had to put her on a blanket in the backyard with some of the other kids. It took me about 15 minutes to get out of there after cutting off her bracelet and reassuring her that she would be okay. It was Shannon's tale of ice cream and glow sticks that finally convinced Zoe she wanted to stay. So I joined Steve in the car.

We headed straight home. Steve needed a nap and I needed a beer. I made some phone calls and then woke Steve up after an hour or so. We then headed to our neighborhood Sushi place and had a wonderful dinner. I asked Steve "what's next, dancing?" and he said he had a surprise for us. We were headed to Inspiration Point!

If you have not been to our town's Inspiration Point, you need to go. Don't even think about getting some some there though. There are video cameras everywhere and they make sure you know so! We were there for the views and the walk anyway. On our walk, we saw our city from many new vantage points. It was a lovely, clear summer evening and truly lovely. We both were completely flabbergasted that in the 8 years we have lived here, neither of us had ever noticed the 3 or 4 story tall, bright phallic symbol in our view. It was VERY phallic if you get what I mean, and it was lit up with alternating orange and blue pulsating lights. I swear I have seen smaller versions in certain stores! After a hearty laugh, we decided it was part of the children's area at our neighborhood amusement park! Just makes you wonder, what else have we been missing both in our landscapes and our lifescapes!

Thank you and God bless!

G

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry you had to go through 2 days of hell, and very happy that everything is ok. Maybe Alex was trying to remind you and Steve how much you love and need each other.

Jenna said...

Just popped in to check for an update and saw all the recent drama. I am so happy that everything turned out to be okay.
Best wishes to you all...

J Clark