Thursday, August 24, 2006

Thursday, August 24th

I am going to try to keep this short and sweet. Alex's chemo started off with alot of anxiety and crying on Alex's part, but once the "butterfly" was in the mediport he turned it around and enjoyed playing video games. Alex weighed in at 16.3kg!!!! I'm so happy about that, I could scream. Since his head tilt is pretty much gone and other positive signs, the MRI has been put off until its regulary scheduled time at the end of 12 weeks of chemo. Today was seven.

Zoe came with us today and did pretty well. She got sleepy at the end and even though we had our own room, was not able to rest until she got in the car. Alex still coughs during the night but the audible breathing has not reappeared. So thank you all for your prayers. Once again, it has worked out. Whew!!

I would like to take this opportunity to respond to some of the comments, since I have not learned how to do so individually. First of all, Joe M. where are you? Are you okay? Please let me know, I am worried about you. Next, Shantall, thank you for your comments, you always have such encouraging and supportive words. I hope we can meet someday. Finally, Tracie, I'm still waiting for that call, Grandma!!

Okay, I have a thousand things to do before we fly out tomorrow morning. Love to you all.

God bless!
G

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being halfway through the Chemo process. I can only imagine the stress and anticipation you have to deal with on a daily basis. Please know there are people you don't know rooting for you. And meeting you would be great, once your lives have settled a bit. Again..in my thoughts and don't forget to take a minute out for you and your hubby. Because although your priorities are Alex and Zoe, you still need to tend to yourselves as well.
Shantell

Anonymous said...

Gwen and Steve,
I'm glad Alex is responding so well to his treatment. We think about you all the time and worry and hope for you, which in my book is a prayer. And what our prayers other than putting out the best healing energies towards an alteration of the chaos going on in Alex' cells, ordering them to get with the program or hit the road (smiling here)!!
I don't know where you were off to, but if it ever includes Steve's parents, please please call us and we will do whatever it takes to find the three seconds you have free for a quick hello (or longer if you can). We'll arrange babysitting, take you to a parent dinner (my kids call all adult stuff "parent" stuff), or let the kids play and bbq, or just stop by, hug, bring you some See's candy or something healthier, or WHATEVER YOU WANT (within reason). :) Let us know. We miss you!! LOVE LOVE LOVE, Beryl and the rest of the Vaughans
PS Happy Belated Anniversary. I remember well the feeling of being in front of that lovely old hotel, wearing a "thin" dress I finally fit into [that's long gone to Salvation Army--I think that was the last time I fit that size ;)], Gwen entering so gorgeously in her cloud of a dress, Steve so incredibly happy and proud. The mountains were the loveliest backdrop you could imagine. NIcer than David's niece who married on the beach at sunset in Maui, if you ask me, because the sun set RIGHT IN OUR EYES. They don't tell you that in the dream department. And Gwen--remember our girls' getaway? I was so happy to learn you had a bawdy side--I was afraid I would have to be proper with you and as you learned, that's not one of my strongest qualities (I haul it out for David's mother--which is one of the reasons I sigh when we go to visit, because I feel as if I'm putting on a very tight "behavior" suit over a girdle--blech). But not with you Gwen. We were laughing in time--which is what makes intimacy for me. If I can't laugh with someone, I really can't be close to them. I found that out when I was dating. A lot of good looking men who only liked the 3 Stooges and never "got" I Love Lucy just went by the wayside (I'm sure some of you women out there know what I mean). Anyway, Steve, you KNOW David didn't let me down :). I digress. Setting my ego aside (but not toooo far away), I return to what I see and know:
Your kids are lucky to have you as parents. Steve, I know you are worrying yourself to death. You MUST keep laughing for EVERYONE's sake in your family. Gwen, your kids are so lucky to have you for a mom--I know you are a huge force in making this horribly stressful situation as psychically harmless (harm less, not without harm) as possible for your family. I hope for you too. And leaving the physical damage part to the doctors. Anyway, this is the closest you are likely to get to a letter from me. :) Not that you asked for it :) I hope you got a laugh or 2. If not, tell me off in a way that gets you laughing. Be sure to write us at beryl94903@msn.com; I don't read the blog very regularly. I gotta go to make toast for breakfast--by special request of Molly who thinks it's a treat.