Monday, January 08, 2007

Monday, January 8th

Good Morning. Well TGIM? The winter break ends and school starts tomorrow. I have mixed feelings about this. I will miss having Alex home all day, but I know Zoe and I need that time for just us. I am pretty sure it will be good for everyone to get back into a routine.

I just wanted to note something that happened yesterday. Well, for the first time since the brain biopsy, Alex walked across the house without his super boot or shoes on. He did not use any supports such as walls or tables. He was carrying a beach ball from the play room to the living room and just walked. I rejoiced! Steve was so proud too! I know it is such a small thing, but it is huge in this house. It means Alex is getting his confidence, strength and stability back. It means he is going through all of this for a reason and that it is WORKING!! I cried just a bit. I felt my heart open and grow with faith and hope for the future. It was a brief glimpse but one I will cherish forever.

I know this all sounds very corny and everyone out there with healthy kids running around, jumping on the beds, and absolutely driving you crazy probably can't appreciate. But if you can, for just today, try to rejoice in the jumping, running and even ability to walk across the house of your little one(s). It is a precious gift that not every child has.

God bless.
G

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

woo hoo to this great accomplishment. And it isn't corny or silly in the least, it is a GREAT BIG STEP in the right direction. Give Zoe and Alex a hug for me (even though we have never met.) IT is so good to see 2007 off to a good start.

Hugs from a stranger
Shantell G.

Anonymous said...

Way to go Alexander!! We are so happy to hear about this accomplishment...in which it certaonly is. Esther looks forward to seeing Alex every day at school.

All our love,
Roe Cornish family

Anonymous said...

I am thrilled for Alex's triumph--something seemingly small is a great signal for even better things for the future. Alex and Zoe are lucky to have you and Steve as parents that recognize and appreciate their accomplishments--I'm sure Alex was proud of his newfound strength as well, if he wasn't too absorbed in his activity with the beach balll!
~The Tunheim Family (Annie, Sam, Jackson, and Alex)(atunheim@hotmail.com)

Anonymous said...

One giant step for Alex, one giant leap for Kasnoff kind! I'm sure he's just as proud as you are! It truly is wonderful to see such an amazing thing!
Recently we found out that Samantha is VERY VERY farsighted and needed glasses. When she put them on for the first time it felt like she was seeing the world for the first time! I think this was kind of a new first for you all too!

Unknown said...

I opened a google acct so mayabe I can respond now. We are so excited for Alex and we hope this is a sign of things to come! We had a full house due to snowbound family over the holidays, as well as the ugly cough thing. Would still love to get together with you. Let us know what might work for you. You're in our thoughts and prayers each day. Thea

Scott said...

Did Alex realize that he had walked across the house before you pointed it out to him?

Congratulations, Gwen.

Don't think your thrill at these sorts of hurdles the least bit corny, and thank you. Those of us with healthy kids running around, jumping on the beds and absolutely driving us crazy certainly can appreciate and rejoice in our little ones' ability to jump from the kitchen counter to the top of the dining room table... we just usually don't, sometimes should, and definitely can be cajoled into realizing the gift for what it is (at least until something gets broken):).

Warm Regards From The Sunbelt,
Scott, Suzan, Mattie and Mitch