Saturday, January 20, 2007

Saturday, January 20th


Well, life is interesting with its peaks and valleys. Steve's father passed away Friday. His mom called the house last night and told me. I told Steve when he got home a few minutes later. I hope I never have to deliver that type of news ever again. The death is completely unexpected and everyone is in shock right now.

Our concern right now is for Steve's mom. Steve's parents left their home of over twenty years (give or take a few) to be with Steve's aunt who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer over a year ago. If you recall, Steve's aunt passed around Christmas and now his mom has no family left except for her children and grandchildren. Steve is flying out now and should be with her tonight. The kids and I are leaving tomorrow.

Our intent is to help her with all of the logistics and planning. To comfort and ease her grief as much as possible, to distract her from her pain with the bright, shiny faces of her youngest grandchildren including her only granddaughter. I don't know where she will decide to go or do, but we would love to have her in our home. Her daughter lives in San Francisco and since that is where she grew up and the number one city in the country she may decide to live there. She also has twin grandsons there as well as her daughter and son-in-law. No matter what, we will support her in every way. We just want her to be comfortable and at peace.

I can't wait to get there to give her a big hug and just hold her. I can't imagine what the last 28 hours have been like. Steve tells me it was their 44th wedding anniversary yesterday as well.

So here we go. Wish us well.

God bless.
G

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your sudden loss. I know you have probably already made arrangements, but if you need a loving home for your pup while you're gone, we'd be glad to! Feel free to email me at atunheim@hotmail.com if you need anything...
~Annie Tunheim

Scott said...

When it rains it pours.

I'm so sorry for all of you, but it's great that you're all able to go out to comfort Linda. It stuns me that Mike is gone. He always treated me as a son (more so than my own dad in some ways) and I've certainly used him, in part, as a role model, and will continue to in raising the boys and in the way that I relate to Suzan as well. I really think that he had his priorities pretty will lined up. He had a lust for life; was quick with a smile but not afraid to let you know when he disagreed with you. He was always "one of the guys" and a father figure to all of Steve's friends at the same time. He was a great guy, and the world is a little bit less bright and sunny without him.

Please pass along my condolences to Steve, Linda and Christina.

Susan was good people too (She and George opened their door to me a couple of times when Steve wasn't in tow, and I think that says a lot). To lose two warm spots in your life in such short order has got to be just devestating.

On the other hand, I'm just a guy who knew Mike and Susan for a few years back in my teens and early twenties, and they've both made their own lasting impressions on me and the way I'll live my life from here on in. I'm sure that there are hundreds of others wh can say the same of one or the other of them. The impressions that were left on eare nothing compared to those left on their close friends and family. The kind of a connection that Mike made with those close to him makes the loss of that connection harder than it would be with a lesser person, but at the same time, it means that there is a little bit of him in everyone that he knew, and who knew him, and he will be with all of us, always.

(...and he's left a great legacy in two great kids and loving parents in their own rights, and 4 beautiful grandkids)

Excuse my ranting, but I needed an outlet. Hug each other for me.

If there's *anything* I can do from this coast, please don't hesitate to ask.

-Scott

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve and Gwen, I am sorry to be so slow to respond. I heard of your loss from Steffany. It is hard when you lose a parent. Our prayers are with you and your family more now then before. I haven't read the blog in a while. I will try to go back and catch up. Great to hear about your trip to FL. Give each other a big fatboy hug. Love Paul & Dianne