Saturday, July 01, 2006

Friday, June 30th Midnight

Since the last post, Alexander has made great strides. He moved into a private room (Thank you so much Dr. Jody!!!!), took a wagon ride around the hospital and ate some noodles and cheese. I got to the hospital at 7:15p to relieve Steve who needed a break. Nadine was there, straight from the airport and we rolled Alex all around the hospital. Instead of wheel chairs, they provide red wagons. Alex was propped up with pillows and kept asking to roll some more. He did not move his head at all this evening but he was very glad to see me, so much so he started crying. Nadine left us in front of the magic ball machine. Alex was sitting in my lap watching the balls work their way through the maze. We stayed there then wheeled around some more then returned to his room. He really is sick of the hospital bed and just wanted me to hold him. So I gladly did.

Then Dad came in with our nephew, Evan, and Zoe. Zoe immediately had to be in the chair with Alex and me. Evan found a toy Jo-Nell delivered, along with many others from Alex's schoolmates (thank you all, too). It is a fuzzy blue monkey with long arms and legs that velcro at each end. Evan started making monkey sounds and wiggling it in Alex's face. For the first time since Wednesday morning, I saw Alex crack a smile!! Even though he won't move his head, he and Evan then proceeded to have an argument over who has the biggest germs. I think Evan won since he is five! I guess having kids around really helped Alex forget his misery.

Alex then ate some noodles in the chair all by himself. This is huge because the Occupational Therapist that visited earlier wanted him to be at a 45 degree angle for eating and he was at about 60 degrees. Steve and I were thrilled. Zoe had a great time rolling on the hospital bed and playing with (read as "eating") bubbles. Alex wanted back in my arms after eating; so I gladly accommodated him while Evan and Steve went to the wishing well. When they returned, we gave Alex a ten minute warning of our departure. He started to cry, but I promised him I would be back when he awoke in the morning.

I can't tell you what a roller coaster ride this day has been. I'm sure it is obvious to anyone reading today's blogs though. I am very encouraged by Alex's chatter with his cousin this evening and look forward to hearing my boy ask "Mommie, can we look for Herbie cars" any day now!! Thank you all for your prayers and positive energy. It has helped Steve and I immensely, not to mention dear Alexander.

Gwendolyn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your struggle to get Alex moved to a private room has been won! You guys are doing a great job being the BEST Parents and advocates for him! We are still sending all our love and positive energy your way!
Love, Tina, Gregg, Sam and Aidan

Anonymous said...

It is wonderful to hear that Alex is doing so well. Keep up the good work. He should be getting mail from me soon, it just takes a while for it to get there from here.
Love,
Joe, Courtney, and William