Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Wednesday July 26th


I'd like to start this post with a thank you to you all. Your comments, cards and thoughtful conversations are a Godsend to our family. I don't know how to explain how much it helps to know that others are out there, experiencing this with us and holding us in their prayers and good thoughts. Thanks just does not seem like a big enough word here, but Thanks nonetheless!!

Yesterday and today have been good days for Alex. He has seemed to really enjoy his return to school and just lights up when he is around his friends. The Primary students at MAC had a field trip to the Nature and Science Museum's Planeterium. Everyone who saw me in the lobby told me how much fun Alex had playing in the fountain. It was great to hear that he did so well without Mom or Dad around. I had planned to go but the date was moved due to electrical blackouts at the museum last week and I already had a doctor's appointment set for today.

Steve's great friend, Rick Harper, is in town on business and stopped by last night for dinner and to catch up. I have not seen Rick since he was in our wedding. I must say he was a sight for sore eyes! We ordered in Indian food and sat on the front porch just talking about life - future, past and present. It was like we'd been neighbors for the last five years. I must say we are blessed with great friends. You know who you are!!

Tomorrow is chemo #3 and Alex is asking about the pokes. We told him that there will be no pokes just the "butterfly" and magic cream. The "butterfly is the needle they put into the mediport. The magic cream numbs the area so he does not feel the poke, just a little butterfy bite.

After chemo tomorrow we have an appointment with Dr. Handler. It will be 30 days since surgery (time flies) and this was scheduled when we left the hospital. I completely forgot about it, thank Goodness they call with reminders! Then I have my first mammogram at 4p. I normally would be quite worked up about this but have not had the time or energy to work myself up so I'll just go and hope for the best. Just for the record I do believe in a merciful, loving God!

We have signed up to attend a Cancer Camp at Eagle Lake this weekend. It is usually a church camp, so I hope the bible beating won't be deafening. Alex has wanted to go camping for quite a while and I think we can handle one night under the stars! There are lots of activities for kids and it will be good to get into them thar hills for a while! I can't wait to do some star gazing. Alex wants us to pack marshmallows!!!

Well sleep has still been elusive the last two nights. I told someone today I think I'm just getting used to it. I deplore all the things we have to get used to now; but everyday seems to get a tad easier than the last. I have started working out every other day just so I don't explode with stress. Hooray for endorphines!!

I hope everyone reading this is blessed with a wonderful weekend and hugs and kisses from a loved one!

God Bless.
G

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gwen,

Once again, I just want to let you know that I think about your entire family every single day. Every Thursday you guys seem to be on my mind all day. I hope each chemo treatment is at least a little better than the last. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. You are more than welcome to use me as a babysitter as I have had baby fever for several months now! Also, I have decided that, since you are such a wonderful writer, you should write a book about all of this. I know it would be a very moving read. Take care and continue to be stong. Give your precious children a kiss for me.

Courtney Burns