Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Wednesday July 5, 2006

Well, our prayers and dreams came true Monday night. Alex, Zoe, Steve, Aunt Christina, Uncle Ari and I all went to see a fantastic fireworks display!! Alex really enjoyed the event even though it was past his bedtime. It was great to get out of the house and enjoy ourselves for the first time in a while. Words can not express how much just sitting on the grass with my boy leaning against me, smiling meant to me. It was pure heaven.

Yesterday was a good day, everyday Alex gets a little more flexibility in his neck and starts behaving like his old self. He is only taking Motrin and Tylenol for pain management now during the daylight hours. He takes the Oxycodone at night to ensure a good night's rest. I on the other hand have had some of the worst nightmares of my life in the past week or so. I'm starting to fear sleep. Geez, this is hard!!

Steve, Alex and I went back to Children's today to meet with the Neuro-Oncologist, Dr. Foreman. He explained in great detail the chemo treatments and how the next year will be spent in their "infusion room" once a week for 3 hour treatments. Aughh! Steve was really affected by today's visit. To me it is just what we have to do to make Alex well. We are praying that the chemo works and that the side effects are minimal.

Tonight, thanks to Steve's sis and brother-in-law, Steve and I will go on a date! I really don't know what we'll do or where we'll go and I have a lot of anxiety over leaving Alex, but we need to take advantage of their generosity and kindness and just get a short break for a while. Wish us luck!!!

This morning Alex and I stopped into his classroom just as they were finishing lunch. Alex really perks up when he is around his friends and the kids had a lot of questions for us. We are planning for Alex to return to his classroom tomorrow morning for an hour or so and then we'll just go from there. Our main concern is him falling, but like I said everyday he gets stronger and more flexible. It will also do alot of good for everyone to get back on a regular schedule.

Our first chemo will be next Thursday and every Thursday after that for a while. Steve and I will have to alter alot of our plans but are more than willing to accommodate this schedule.

God bless you all. We are so fortunate to have such a loving, caring and wonderful community of friends. More later.

Gwendolyn

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful news that you got to go see the fireworks...any small piece of normalcy must seem like a real treasure. So nice to have family with you to give you a break....wish we were closer to be part of your backup team. Until then...we continue to hold you all close to our heart and pray each day for total restoration for our smiling little angel. We really missed Evan while he was gone...but today he sounded so proud of himself for helping Alex feel better. God bless you all....Paul and Dianne

Anonymous said...

I have come to your blog by way of http://steadman.blog.com/ My thoughts are with you, and thank you for sharing your journey with all of us out here.

Anonymous said...

I heard about Alex and found your blog from the Steadman's blog. I just want to say that Neil, Ronan and myself are all thinking about your family and hope for a speedy and pain-free recovery for Alex. I remember seeing him at Ben's funeral and he seems like such a happy and cute little boy (who looks a lot like Daddy) and we wish the best for him.

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear that Alex is back home and on his way to a full recovery! I just returned last night from Shawn's grndfather's funneral in NJ and I couldn't help but think of Alex and your family. Wishing and praying that Alex would one day be an old man, grown and living a full life. Interesting how death, or the scare of it, makes us all think of our mere mortality? I'm looking forward to seeing his bright smile in the hallways very soon.

Much love - Rachel T (@ MAC)

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»