Thursday, July 20, 2006

Thursday July 20th

Well after much ado, I reverted the settings so that anyone can comment on this blog. You just have to go through a word verification. I apologize if this was a huge inconvenience for anyone.

Last night had to be one of the worst nights since diagnosis. I believe Alex was retraumatized by the cat scan therefore did not sleep well. It took him a while to get to sleep then he started the crying, kicking, etc. right as I was headed to bed. All of this commotion woke Zoe up so I got to bed (with Alex by my side) at midnight. Alex proceeded to kick and cry all night. It was brutal. I woke up more tired than when I went to sleep and I think Alex did too.

Nonetheless, we got to the hospital on time. The Chemo Room was very busy and we did not get the private room we had last week. We were given the choice of large recliners in one of the Avalanche Room's corners. We picked one that seemed pretty secluded, but I found out later was very deceiving. Anyway, I had to combat some claustrophobia, crankiness and weariness to get through the first hour (as did Alex). After that though, we finally got settled in and got through Alex's second round of chemo. Alex did very well but still does not like the pokes.

The doctor today did not offer much to get Alex to sleep any better. Seems this is very common for kids after diagnosis, surgery and chemo treatments. We were urged to get into a good routine and stick to it. I also want to pursue other relaxation methods for Alex. Perhaps massage, biofeedback or acupressure will help him get some much-needed rest. (Jerry, I can hear your Boulder jokes now!) I am leery of trying meds at this point. His poor system is already going through so much.

Alex can't wait for Steve to be home. He wants to know what kind of toy he picked out for him! Alex had a good evening, Karlyn Vasan dropped by with dinner and her sons. Alex really perked up when Vikram came in. We hope to have a real play date with them soon. Joy was also here this evening and helped out with laundry and the kids. Our friend Nadine also came by and we drank some beer and ate Karlyn's wonderful Mexican Chicken dinner while the kids devoured Super Sponge Bob Mac 'N Cheese! After dinner was bath time and then bed. Alex talked and sang to himself for an hour or so and has just fallen asleep. While writing this he has screamed twice and needed consoling. It looks like another restless night.

If anyone has any ideas that would help Alex sleep, please let me know. I'm willing to try almost anything. I am going crazy though so don't take advantage of my impaired state of mind!

Thank you for your comments. I really enjoy reading them and always feel renewed for another day.

Sweet dreams!
G

No comments: