Monday, April 23, 2007

Monday, April 23rd

Good Morning. The weekend is over and we start week 3 (of 6). Friday we picked up None and had dinner at Mac Grill. Steve and some buds went to an arena football game on behalf of the Starlight Starbright Foundation. Alex did not feel like going. Saturday was a tad stressful. Steve had a headache most of the day and was pretty miserable (to be around). For some reason, we just kept irking each other to no end. By bed time we had a talk and ended up laughing. Supposedly only 25% of couples survive life events like what we are going through. Luckily, we don't buy into statistics!!

Sunday, Steve flew to Florida for a training session. We added a new "responsibility" to Alex's chart. To go for a walk every day, no matter how many stops or how short. Alex really did not seem to be enjoying the walk yesterday, but when I asked him if he wanted to stop and go home or continue, he always said continue. This amazed both Linda and me! What a kid! What keeps him going, where does this inner strength come from? Would you or I continue doing something that was so scary? I bet not.

Alex also only had one noodle meal yesterday. He ate some new foods and is really expanding his selections. This makes me very happy. Zoe too!

I wanted to tell you all about the imagery work we are doing with Alex. In Florida, we got a sword that makes "sword sounds". Sometimes we take it with us into the radiation clinic to help "fight the bump". You should see the looks we get when this thing starts singing! Also, Alex has discovered Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. Normally I would not let Alex watch a show with fighting, but I told him he can watch it to see what it looks like to fight and win! Just like he is fighting the bumps!

Yesterday, Alex asked "Mom, why do I fight the bump?" I said, "Because the bump has weakened your right arm, leg and face." I wanted to say more but stopped myself. Then I asked him why he thought we fight the bump. He said "I don't know". I plan to follow up on this and will keep you posted. I'm very interested to hear his answer.

Okay, well Alex is in radiation and should almost be done. I want to thank all of the families that donated the prepared meals. This will be a huge help and we are most appreciated. Thank you very much!

God bless and make it a great day!
G

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gwen,

After seeing Alex at the beginning of his walk when he was not very happy- it shows his strength and determination that he chose to continue walking when given a choice. He is an amazing and strong little guy.

Hope the treatment went well today. Esther looks forward to her next play date with Alex.

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you today. Hugs from a stranger.

Shantell Gutierrez