Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Tuesday, April 10th

Well miracles do happen. As bad as I felt after visiting with the doctor that is as good as I felt after spending time with Alex chatting on the couch last night. Alex slept alot yesterday and even after two naps wanted to go to bed at 6:22p. Of course, I told him he could go. I was so disappointed though. Steve had not made it home yet and Alex had not eaten his dinner nor taken his last dose of steroid for the day. Our neighbor from across the street (who's shoulder I cried on yesterday) called about 1ish and said that she was bringing dinner over later so not to worry about it. That was a huge relief so she and her kids came over and had a coloring party with Alex and Zoe. It was great to see him interacting with his friends and being his old self.

Anyway, Alex woke up at 7:10p and was hungry! So we made him some Alfredo noodles and carrots. He ate all of his carrots and two servings of noodles. Then we retired to the couch to watch "Cars". Steve took Roxie for a walk with Zoe in the piggyback backpack at about this same time. I did a bit of work to get ready for the housekeepers arrival this morning and then joined Alex. He started talking about how he does not want to watch as much TV anymore and would rather play or color or go on a picnic. When Steve and Zoe made it home he said "I'm sooo happy we are all together again". He apologized for being bad and I asked him what he meant because he has never been bad. He said something about the time he had cheeseburgers and fries behind the car. I have no clue what he was talking about. I told him that he has never been bad that we can be angry or sad or mad but that does not make us bad. I told him that he has always been a sweet, bright, happy, wonderful boy.He said "thank you mommie, I love you."
We asked Alex who he wanted to take him to the new hospital tomorrow. I told him it was my turn but if he wanted Dad to take him that was okay too. He said "Oh yah, mom then we can have our special time together; I love our special time". There was more but it was all as heartwarming as that. My heart was filled and I would not have traded those precious moments for anything!

Before bed last night, Alex also asked if he could wear his oxygen to bed. This is huge since we have had the capabilities of giving him O2 since last Wednesday or so and this is the first time he has been agreeable toward the whole idea; never mind that he brought it up!

Well, chemo administration this morning went well. I had another nurse come out to the house just to make sure I did not mess things up. She said I did fine. Tomorrow I am on my own. I took Alex to Anshutz this morning and he had lots of questions about his appointments. I started taking pics of people that represent his different appointments. I hope to make a calendar very soon so he can see a week's plan at a time. Today, I took pics of Mr. Bill the front desk man at the radiation clinic and Kerry, Alex's physical therapist. Anyway, when they called me back to get Alex he was awake and talking to the nurse. She was smiling that enchanted smile only Alex can bring to one's face. I knew immediately he was going to be fine.

Today was also a fine day because the for the first time in my life professionals cleaned my house. It was so great! We left to have lunch with Steve and when I got home, the house was sparkling!!! WOW! Not much beats a clean house that took no exertion on your part. I hope I don't get to used to this special treatment. Thank you (you know who you are) for this wonderful gift. It is such a joy and relief to everyone in the house.

Alex actually has had a pretty good day. He wasn't filled with energy or anything at PT but he did well. He ate okay but drank 2.5 Spider milks today. His drool is gone and the nurse commented that his facial droop was also gone. (She saw Alex last Wednesday). The doc has reduced Alex's steroid dose from 6 to 4mg per day. They don't want his cheeks to get so big that his "mask" does not fit properly during radiation. I'm all for that as long as he continues to improve.

Well, Steve takes Alex tomorrow morning. I have a list of tasks to get done. Zoe had a play date today and came home exhausted but happy. She and Malena love their time together. I have received many offers for dinners and would ask that everyone give me some time to respond. I am so overwhelmed right now.

Okay, well I have to say thank you all for the prayers and positive energy. I feel better today and just keep thinking positively and trying my best to stay in the moment. We'll see how long that lasts!! =0)

Have a great day! God bless!
G

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart felt so full as I read about your wonderful time spent with Alex yesterday. It is so, so precious when kids open up like that and just exude love.
~Annie

Anonymous said...

Mommy/son time is always special. I am glad that some of the droop and drool is gone, a baby step in the right direction. :o)

hugs,
Shantell Gutierrez