Monday, April 09, 2007

Monday, April 9th

Well, Alex did pretty well this morning. He has said several times that he is scared because "everything is changing". I hope to take him to see his play therapist this afternoon. Radiation went fine. He fell asleep in my arms. The the doctor showed us the mapping they had been doing for Alex. The new tumor is about 3 cm x 6 cm. It is much more substantial than either Steve or I comprehended last week and the sight of it's size and location are very disturbing.

After radiation we headed to Children's to see Dr. F. We had several questions for him and he explained a bit more to us today. Without going into the details, the speed and non-enhancing during imaging of this tumor are compatible with a high grade, terminal tumor. The fact that the spectograph did not show "compatibility with a high grade tumor" does not mean much without a biopsy which is not possible. So that is the dilemma. Another MRI will not be done (unless Alex shows signs of neurological damage) until 4 weeks after radiation. So it will be 10 weeks before we have imaging to show the effects of this treatment regime. Otherwise he will be monitored by the doctors to watch his physical changes. Swelling from the radiation can cause a decrease in physical abilities but so can a tumor(s) that is not responding the the radiation/chemo treatments.

The doctor gave us some timeframe parameters that I will not share here because I don't want to give that thinking any power. Steve and I decided last night that we would not ask for efficacy percentages for the treatments either. The doctor started talking about time tables before we could stop him. I have to say, that was excruciating information. I just want to curl up and cry and cry and cry. Fortunately, I can't right now. I did some crying in my neighbors arms when we picked up Zoe and that helped. Right now I am just going to try to make it through this day, somehow.

God bless, please pray for Alex to beat the odds and be healed. It is an option and the only one I will accept.

G

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gwen,
My thoughts and wishes are focused towards Alex's complete healing and the radiation demolishing this evil tumor.
I'd like to organize some meals to get you through these next weeks; if that would be a help, email me some contacts and I'll get started.
~Annie Tunheim

Anonymous said...

I am committed to holding Alex as healed,well and growing into a strong boy!

Love, Tina

Anonymous said...

Gwen and Steve,

Our vision is of Alex as a strong, healthy, and happy boy. We will focus on these positive thoughts. Please do let me know when you decide if you want me to get the meals going again, and if there is anything you need, I will help in any way I can. Hugs to you all.

Karlyn

Anonymous said...

I am sending as many angels that will listen to watch over and help in this healing process. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

hugs,
Shantell Gutierrez