Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tuesday, May 8th

Good Morning,

Alex is doing very well. He is walking well without his "super boot" and using his right hand much more. He has even started to eat on his right side of his mouth. At his clinic visit yesterday, the doc decided to keep him on his .5 mg of steroid for at least another week since some of his symptoms (drool, cough, occasional cough) were reappearing over the weekend. The doctor also explained to us that his decreased appetite is normal and will continue until Alex is off the steroids for 6 weeks. He said that getting off the steroids is very difficult and usually accompanied by a return of symptoms. Steve asked "why don't we just keep him on the steroids then?" Dr. F said the side effects are very bad and our goal is get him off asap.

Linda (Steve's mom) left Sunday. We enjoyed her visit very much. She truly spoils us all!! On Friday, Zoe and I flew to my hometown to surprise my mom who is graduating from college with her Business degree. The surprise went off without a hitch and the weekend was great. I am so very proud of her for completing this effort and the fortitude it took.

Zoe now has a cold and really had a hard time on the flight out. I have to say the flight attendants on our United flight could not have been more rude to us. I know I was "that mother" with the screaming, crying child but believe me when I say it is much harder on the child's parent than on anyone else on the plane!!

Well, I just wanted to do a quick post while Alex is getting his treatment. After today we have only nine treatments left!!!! HALLELUJAH!!!! HOORAY!!!! YIPPEEE!!! The end is in sight. Alex is very excited as are we all.

Well, enjoy your beautiful spring day. God bless.
G

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have been 'that mother' on a flight--I had both boys screaming in pain for the last 20 minutes of a descent when they were feeling intense sinus pressure. I usually find people to be understanding, because they have been there, too. I'm sorry that you had flight attendants who were less than patient.
I'm so glad Alex is feeling stronger and more capable. Only 9 treatments left--you all have done so well throughout this experience. I am looking forward to help celebrate when Alex is done!
~Annie

Anonymous said...

Yeah! I can't wait till Alex is done either! That is very nice to hear that Alex is using his Right side more and more. Kudos to your mom for sticking it out on her degree! (Wish I could get that kind of accomplishment done in my life too!) We miss you bunches!

Tina